T300+ key coder and ECU diagnostic reader: MEMS1.9 and 2J

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

T300+ key coder and ECU diagnostic reader: MEMS1.9 and 2J

Post by Rob Bell » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:26 pm

This arrived in the post for the weekend - a bit of shame that I haven't had the time to really play with it so far:
T300+ and OBD lead
T300+ and OBD lead
This is the T300+ - a diagnostic tool and key code programmer. Big thanks to Julian and Paul for pointing me in its direction - it's going to be quite useful for me I think - especially as I currently have two MGFs. Not yet sure whether it'll talk to my ZTT CDTi - not tried it yet. You don't get a MEMS1.9 or Lucas 5AS with the reader BTW - they're there for artistic effect ;)
The T300+'s forte is programming key fobs to your Lucas 5AS - and I think may also have the capacity to sync an 'alien' 5AS to the MEMS. It can also be used to retrieve the EKA - or indeed edit and change it. All of which is hugely useful, but it can also interogate your MEMS unit in a similar way to the plethora of OBD2 compliant readers can... so now yes you can read your pre-EOBD/OBD2 MEMS in much the same way as you can MEMS3 - which is very nice :thumbsu:

MEMS1.9 and MEMS2J use an OBD2 style port, which is located on the fuse board - shown here:
Location of OBD socket
Location of OBD socket
Connect lead to OBD2 socket
Connect lead to OBD2 socket
It's in the fuse box, in case you needed to know ;)
It's in the fuse box, in case you needed to know ;)
As mentioned above, I haven't had a great deal of time to really explore the functions, not helped by the fact that my car's battery is on its last legs and was nearly flat (grrr!) - but here's what the screens look like:

On start up - it asks you to adjust screen brightness:
Start up: adjust brightness
Start up: adjust brightness
Then you enter the security code - which helpfully is printed below the main screen (d'oh!):
Enter security code
Enter security code
The device is compatible with a range of vehicles, so enter the manufacturer (Rover):
Enter vehicle manufacturer
Enter vehicle manufacturer
It then tells you which version of engine management you've got on your car (in my case, MEMS1.9):
MEMS1.9
MEMS1.9
You can then enter the diagnostic menu:
Diagnostic menu
Diagnostic menu
You can then read the fault codes, and also clear them:
Fault codes
Fault codes
I read mine, and I found a few faults listed, including the throttle position sensor - which wasn't massively surprising, as I'd fitted a 52mm throttle body over 10 years ago, and the car hasn't been anywhere near a Testbook for over 12...
Throttle potentiometer
Throttle potentiometer
I'll not bore you with the other codes - but there were two other sensor faults listed as current. Something to look into. I haven't tried the live menu yet, so I don't know whether I can correct the calibration issues out? Something for another day!

Anyway, I cleared the fault codes to see what would recur later - which gives you this screen when completed:
Procedure complete
Procedure complete
So plenty of other areas to explore here - the instruction manual is largely generic, other than the key programming procedure which is specific to each manufacturer - but I'll report back once I've had a chance to look in more detail :)

Bandit
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Re: T300+ key coder and ECU diagnostic reader: MEMS1.9 and 2

Post by Bandit » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:56 pm

One test of how good the software is would be to see if it would allow the EKA code to be set to 0000 :D

Mine must be on a slow boat from China :|

Bandit
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Post by Bandit » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:35 am

Euro Car Parts promotion is still running - enter BATTERY15 as the promo code and a Bosch Silver 063 battery can arrive at your door for £35 - such a good deal all my cars now have very clean & shiny batteries :thumbsu:

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:42 am

Wow Rob,

now that looks promising, I have often been thinking about getting a Rovacom Faultmate, but was quite put off by their licence policies, which mean you can only use the device on one car, with a specific VIN coded into the s/w.

But that T300 seems to be the answer to all our pre-OBD-2-owners' needs. Can't wait to read a bit more about your experience here. Just out of curiosity: Where did you get the box from? I have just found a Chinese website where it's offered for 185 USD incl. Shipment to Germany. Which seems a reasonable offer but would mean the usual hassle with customs and import VAT :?

Mykel
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:43 am

Bandit wrote:Euro Car Parts promotion is still running - enter BATTERY15 as the promo code and a Bosch Silver 063 battery can arrive at your door for £35 - such a good deal all my cars now have very clean & shiny batteries :thumbsu:
Ooh! Thanks for that heads up - might have to get a couple of these - for both my MGFs! :thumbsu:

Hopefully your unit will arrive soon!
Mykel wrote:Wow Rob,

now that looks promising, I have often been thinking about getting a Rovacom Faultmate, but was quite put off by their licence policies, which mean you can only use the device on one car, with a specific VIN coded into the s/w.

But that T300 seems to be the answer to all our pre-OBD-2-owners' needs. Can't wait to read a bit more about your experience here. Just out of curiosity: Where did you get the box from? I have just found a Chinese website where it's offered for 185 USD incl. Shipment to Germany. Which seems a reasonable offer but would mean the usual hassle with customs and import VAT
I agree Mykel - I looked at the Rovacom - but like you I find their liscencing too restrictive. Nor is it particularly affordable. It may however be more functional? Not sure yet what the full functionality of this unit is - so more on this soon.

Interestingly, I wasn't stung on import - but then the exporter had been, er, how shall we say it, "flexible" on the value of the goods quoted on the shipment lable (quoted US$30 :lol:). But the communication from the exporter I used was exemplary - and they used DHL as their delivery agent, so no compliants. I see that there are quite a few listings on the website I used: http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?Sea ... 0&manual=y - I'll find the specific link for the company I used and post it later. :)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Mykel, this is who I ordered through: http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=23469X8 ... 26page%3D5

I think you can order the ali case as an extra - I didn't but wonder whether I should have - it'd make it easier to store :)

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Rob,

Did you have to get any other cables other than the one pictured? I'm quite interested in how well it works to program a key fob.

I still may spring for the Faultmate, given how far away I am from a dealer/testbook.
Mark

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:03 pm

It came with a whole pile of cables - unfortunately with mine largely unlabelled - and these are for other vehicle manufacturers (which is potentially useful I guess). It doesn't come with a 5AS cable (which also connects via the same OBD port), but these are available off the internet, or you could actually make your own :)

I've not yet delved into the "Live data" screen, but this may have the ability to correct things like incorrect TPS calibration - I don't yet know, and the basic manual supplied doesn't go into any detail on what's available on the live screen. Once I get a chance, I'll post more detail.

The Rovacom offers terrific functionality - it appears to be the next best thing to a T4 Testbook. Given your location, and probably the relative scarcity of Landrover dealerships (which should have a T4 testbook, if Freelanders were imported to Canada), then I'd be thinking the same as you: I don't think the T300+ will offer quite the same coverage... but it might be interesting to compare? :)

mowog73

Post by mowog73 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Yes, the Freelander was sold here with the KV6.. I've been to my local Land Rover/Jaguar/Aston Martin dealer with the MGF asking about testbook and coding a fob and they had absolutely no interest in trying to help, it was not a pleasant experience.
Mark

Dieter K
Model of Car: '99 MGF 1.8i

Post by Dieter K » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi,
very interesting. Looks like a must have :thumbsu:
The retired purchase is already investigating for alternative equal reliable sources. :sf:
I'm on $ 160 DDU currently.
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:31 pm

mowog73 wrote:Yes, the Freelander was sold here with the KV6.. I've been to my local Land Rover/Jaguar/Aston Martin dealer with the MGF asking about testbook and coding a fob and they had absolutely no interest in trying to help, it was not a pleasant experience.
Miserable bar-stewards! :(

I've just ordered the cable to enable coding of key fobs, so watch this space :)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Dieter K wrote:Hi,
very interesting. Looks like a must have :thumbsu:
The retired purchase is already investigating for alternative equal reliable sources. :sf:
I'm on $ 160 DDU currently.
Good luck Dieter :thumbsu:

MaddAussie
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF160

Post by MaddAussie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Rob

Can this doohicky get the EKA from a MEMS3? If so I may pay you a visit with some cans of beer and My EKAless 160...

Mark
TF160 - Bilstiens, Mike Satur 4-2-1, Sports Cat, Quad Daytona, Z and F Tuning Phase 2 Remap showing 177Bhp @ Janspeed RR day and a Big Grin :D (oh and a glass rear screen and bits of shiny stuff) 85th suspension bits to fit!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Not 100% sure, but I am happy to try :)

Dieter K

Post by Dieter K » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Status here:
PO placed after hard negotiations ;) price drawn down from 160 to 157 USD (LOL)
Used an Alibaba supplier cause of earlier experiance and their secure payment.
I'll do the other cable myself then. Have enough DB25 header waiting to get used.
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 am

From the .org forum, the wiring should be:

obd pin1 to db25 pin2
obd pin3 to db25 pin10
obd pin4 to db25 pin1
obd pin16 to db25 pin 14

Paul's sending me a cable with a switch which hopefully will mean one cable for both 5AS and ECU interrogation purposes :thumbsu:

mowog73

Post by mowog73 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:20 pm

What is the difference between a 5AS and ECU cable? Do they not plug into the same OBD socket on the fuse panel?
Mark

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:25 pm

Yes, they do - but the cable needs to be wired sligthly differently - as shown in the pin in/out table above :)

Dieter K

Post by Dieter K » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Mark, could be looked up in the wiring diagrams
see for 5AS Pin 1 Pin 3
Pin 4 is earth
Pin 16 is +
http://www.mgfcar.de/schedules/sb16.jpg
or better from Tonys upload (up to MY2001)
http://www.apttony.co.uk/Circuits/Diagnostics.JPG
Versus ECU Pin 7 (also ABS)
http://www.mgfcar.de/schedules/sb8.jpg
The T300 DB25 header input seams to be PIN 2, Pin 10

I'll verify that again later when I've got the device.
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:39 am

New lead arrived at the weekend. Now just need some time to have a play with it. :)