T300+ key coder and ECU diagnostic reader: MEMS1.9 and 2J

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Dieter K
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '99 MGF 1.8i

Re: T300+ key coder and ECU diagnostic reader: MEMS1.9 and 2

Post by Dieter K » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:21 am

Looking forward to your findings :)

My T300 has been shipped yesterday with DHL after some email discussions about the version and tax/customs items.
Now they ship the version 10.?? or whatever in a black housing. Rob's looks black coloured aswell.
Seller asked what value should been written to the commercial invoice. She suggested 25USD :) but after some former .... errrm.... "not so funny" experiance with German customs I asked for a true invoice. ;)
This will finally add only 20 EURO German VAT, cause the total shipment is below the max customs free value of 200 EUR for importing electronic devices from CN to DE.
Now waiting with spot on the DHL tracking.

In case someone likes to follow, I'd recommend using a similar platform that keeps the money locked until you as receiver confirm the proper receipt of the goods.
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:14 am

I'm not sure that the later versions add much in terms of MG Rover functionality - but I gather it is fully functional with MEMS1.9/2J/3 - and will encode both Lucas and Pektron key fobs :)

Why oh why is time always so short? Really want to see what else this little unit can do! :D

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:54 am

Well I have been thinking about one of these for ages but had not seen much on the way of advice on their effectiveness. I will order one this week and look forward to trying out your problem solving ideas as they appear!
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Dieter K

Post by Dieter K » Wed May 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Mine arrived this morning after the second attempt from DHL. Not been at home on monday though.
Just took the device out of the box, went to the F and plugged in the OBDII cable. After trying to find anything useful on the instruction pdf CD.... with no success ;)
(Stated lead numbers don't suit to the markings on the cables) ... LOL
Device started working as described in some manual. Then put ignition on, scroll through the menue to Rover > EMS (mems) > fault codes and find some unusual. Faults cleared and then did some other trials through the given menue choices (live data etc.) with no more success.
Anyway, the only thing that seams to work at the MEMS1.9 is reading the fault codes and clear the fault codes.

Up now to make the cable for the 5AS connection :)
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

Dieter K

Post by Dieter K » Sat May 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Rob ? any news ?
Me did the cable for 5AS connection yesterday.
I can prove, the linkage table from this thread (thanks ORG Forum) is correct.
But oh dear, soldering cables was much easier 10 years ago. Had to use a huge magnifying lens :thumbsu:

Anyway, the question is, is this tool worth the effort and price for MEMS 1.6 /1.9/2.0 owners and 5AS system :sf:
I don't know. I wanted to have one :kiss:
T300 (AD100) can handle what they advert for: Key Programmer
Reading MEMS fault codes and clearing them is an additional feature. Live data are not available with our old Rover specific MEMS code up to MY2000 or Trophy.

So we have
MGF MEMS up to MEMS2:
- read faults
- clear faults
- read ECU version

MGF 5AS

- read EKA
- change EKA
- adapt new Alarm blipper ... (not tried yet, but the count of blipper adaptions seams to be limited to 100 times access, they call it *Token*)
The number of Token is shown on start up of the T300 system (Version 9.99).
On entering the blipper adaption menu, you get asked and said that the numbers of Token gets reduced by one.

Ahh,
- and a device self test with using Adapter # ADC145 :roll:

I didn't see any option by now to adapt a MEMS ECU to a 5AS system.

In case you want one, all you need is:
- AD100 T300 key programmer (V9.99 seams to be the black case) with
- ADC110 OBDII cable
- ADC145 Adapter for self test
and the OBDII to 5AS cable from Ebay or DIY (4 wires)

All the other stuff can be droped if you don't own any of the cars that need one of the special cables/adapters. I opened all the adapters and took pictures. Quite impressive are the Chrysler138/139 types. Inside a double sided PCB with SMT and THT components.
Will upload the pics later.
Also I'l see waht it does wit my 2008 Audi A3 (8PA) :thumbsu:
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sat May 05, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi Dieter,

Brilliant timing, I've just come in having just been outside to have a play to find your post! :lol:

Picking up from before, I thought that I'd have a look at the live data screen (now that the battery has been recharged):
Live data screen from MEMS1.9
Live data screen from MEMS1.9
As has been commented elsewhere, MEMS1.9 seems not to be compatible with Live mode on this reader - the engine, if running, will either stall or will stutter, and the connection is lost. The live screen data appears to be a collection of random numbers... Not sure whether this is a 'feature' of the equipment, or a 'feature' of my car... will be interesting to hear what you find Dieter, but from other forums, the Live data mode does work with MEMS2J (VVC).
A pitty, but not the main reason for buying this unit for me.

So with the cable I bought off ebay from Paul (which has a very nice little switch to enable you to switch from MEMS to 5AS interogation), I decided to have a look at the remote functions. As you say Dieter, this is the device's primary function (odd then, that it doesn't come with this cable as standard...?):
Remote function
Remote function
You then enter the vehicle being interogated (the list on v9.99 firmware is pretty comprehensive across the MG Rover range, and includes TF with the Pektron SCU, and good news for me, the MG ZT! :thumbsu: ):
Select MGF from Menu
Select MGF from Menu
Then you can select from Remote functions or EKA:
Select either remote functions or EKA
Select either remote functions or EKA
I thought I'd start with the EKA. Irritatingly, my EKA has never worked. I thought it was because it had the well documented problem of needing to add 1 to the code, but when I did that, it still didn't work. Fortunately, I've never been in a situation where needing to have the EKA has been that critical!

So I read the EKA code (I've since changed it, so this won't be of use to anyone!):
Reading the EKA
Reading the EKA
So I compared this number to the number in my car's manual. To my utter surprise the numbers were right - but just not in the order written on the security information leaflet. Sheesh! :roll: Obviously mine was completed by a dyslexic Brummie on the day after the night before...

So next, I thought I'd reprogramme the EKA - to do this, enter in through the Special functions:
Select special functions
Select special functions
Then select "Write EKA":
Write EKA
Write EKA
I then entered a new EKA. Being a suspicious sort, I then went back through the read process to confirm that the code I'd entered had indeed been accepted by the 5AS. I've not yet checked to see whether the door lock can now disable the immobiliser - may try that later after the kids are asleep ;)

The remaining section I've not yet entered is the remote programmer:
Programme remote
Programme remote
I have a spare remote, so I'll give that a whirl once I've changed its battery. It's the car's original spare - and if it doesn't deactivate the immobiliser, I'll programme it back in :D

Conclusions so far?

In most part, it does what it says on the tin. The unit is pretty robust, and works in a very 1990's technology kind of way - scrolling through menus on an illuminated dot-matrix liquid crystal display. Given the vintage of our vehicles, that feels "right" somehow :) The lack of live information from the connection to MEMS1.9 is disappointing, but it does appear to work with MEMS2J, so others may find this more useful. For me, this is not an absolute deal breaker.
It appears to read fault codes perfectly satisfactorily, and will re-set and clear the codes.
It will also read and reset the EKA.
I've not tried yet, but I suspect that re-programming additional fobs will pose no problems - and it will programme all MG Rover vehicle codes, including the Rover 75 and MG ZT. :thumbsu:
I believe it will reprogramme the ECU. I may look at this in more detail on Project Shed.

For me, is it worth the money? I think so, yes, as I bought it in large part knowing that I have this project car that has thrown up more than its fair share of problems, and having a fault code reader could be very useful - as indeed would the key fob programmer! And if it can programme different 5AS to a MEMS, then it'll be brilliant.

For the average MGF owner? Probably less clear cut if I am honest. Depends whether you are like me or Dieter - if you "just have to have one" then yes. If not, probably not. It costs way more than the OBD2 readers for later cars, and its functionality rather more limited (key coding aside).

I mentioned this equipment at the last MGF Register committee meeting: should the club buy one? The committee simply wasn't sure. I think that there is a case for the Register to buy one for member use (at shows) - but what do you guys think?

Dieter K

Post by Dieter K » Sat May 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Cheers. Great write up :thumbsu:
Thanks Rob.

Decisions for the club should be taken when the Token stuff is resolved.
It can't be that fobs get programmed FOC when the device shuts down after 100 attempts of fob adaptions . :thumbsd:
From principals it could get another charity action and raising cash though.
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Sun May 06, 2012 4:52 am

Hi Rob,
Well I pressed the order button, paid the money and now wait.
In the mean time could you please "So with the cable I bought off ebay from Paul (which has a very nice little switch to enable you to switch from MEMS to 5AS interogation)" let me have Paul's E bay site to order the cable. Electrical wiring is not my fortie and my son-law does not have the time for my projects any more he is to busy with his own!
For the first time the Australian dollar is worth more than the US$, making this a bit of a bargain so as Rob states " For the average MGF owner? Probably less clear cut if I am honest. Depends whether you are like me or Dieter - if you "just have to have one" " I am justifying that way! :lol:
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sun May 06, 2012 10:15 am

Dieter K wrote:Cheers. Great write up :thumbsu:
Thanks Dieter :D
Dieter K wrote:Decisions for the club should be taken when the Token stuff is resolved.
It can't be that fobs get programmed FOC when the device shuts down after 100 attempts of fob adaptions . :thumbsd:
From principals it could get another charity action and raising cash though.
I haven't worked out what the token system means - I haven't mentioned it in the above write up, and haven't (yet) programmed any fobs... But if the tokens were to decrement every time it was used, that would be a royal pain in the proverbial. :thumbsd:
Andrew Regens wrote:Hi Rob,
Well I pressed the order button, paid the money and now wait.
In the mean time could you please "So with the cable I bought off ebay from Paul (which has a very nice little switch to enable you to switch from MEMS to 5AS interogation)" let me have Paul's E bay site to order the cable. Electrical wiring is not my fortie and my son-law does not have the time for my projects any more he is to busy with his own!
For the first time the Australian dollar is worth more than the US$, making this a bit of a bargain so as Rob states " For the average MGF owner? Probably less clear cut if I am honest. Depends whether you are like me or Dieter - if you "just have to have one" " I am justifying that way! :lol:
Sorry Andrew! Paul is Technozen on .org, and runs this ebay sale:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-Rover-5AS- ... 256ff5c0b5

He mailed me to ask whether I wanted the switch adding, which I very gratefully accepted (practically took his arm off actually! :lol:). Makes MEMS and 5AS interrogation very convenient :thumbsu:

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Sun May 06, 2012 11:19 am

'If' you were planning to unplug the SRS connection to a seat belt pretensioner and/or the rotary coupler and then to read the error code in a MEMS1.9 system and 'if' it could discriminate between the two, I would feel compelled to buy one too! (hint)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sun May 06, 2012 1:13 pm

I'll have a look at that Charles - but it may need to wait a while until I've fired up the Project Shed electrical system :)

Key Fob Programming

I've just spent a happy 10 minutes playing with the key programmer - and I am happy to report that (1) it works, and (2) the tokens don't decrement as they're apparently supposed to. Despite programming the keys twice, I've still the same 100 tokens I started with! :thumbsu:

Let's start from the beginning - you've just got yourself a nice new key fob (or in my case, refurbished the old spare one). First, you'll probably want to replace its battery - its a button battery, code CR2032:
Replacement battery, CR2032
Replacement battery, CR2032
These are available from almost everywhere these days - this particular one came from the local chemist ;)
The next step is to split open the case. I found the end of a steel rule was perfect, and there is a small gap you can insert it into where the fob attaches to your keyring:
Split open the case
Split open the case
This will expose the printed circuit board (PCB) and the battery carrier, which you can clearly see here:
Opened case
Opened case
If you look at the PCB, you should be able to identify the type of fob you've got. Here, you can see it's my car's original 3TXA (there are many types, and if you are interested in reading more, read here). See "3TXA" printed on the PCB, bottom right of the battery carrier?
3TXA PCB
3TXA PCB
You may wish to replace the rubber bottons - this is easily done by popping out the PCB, turning it over, and exposing the buttons, as shown here (new cases and buttons are available as kits on a certain well-known auction site):
Rubber buttons
Rubber buttons
Putting the PCB back in place, remove the old battery. Instructions say to depress both buttons to discharge the circuit (I didn't bother, the battery in this fob was the original Panasonic, and was deader than the Parrot in that well known Monte Python sketch). Slip the new battery in place:
New battery replacement
New battery replacement
Now the case can be closed back up, job done :thumbsu: I include this picture showing the location of the identifier for the fob - a Lucas 3TXA. You can also have 3TXB, 3TXC and 17TN...
3TXA fob case
3TXA fob case
This is worth noting, as later (post 1998 cars) will need a 17TN PCB to maintain the automatic deactivation of the immobiliser when the key is in the ignition - and also noting that older PCBs (or newer) can be found in any key fob case... buyers beware! That said, any Lucas key fob will operate the basic alarm/immobiliser on/off functions on any MGF/TF fitted with the Lucas 5AS :)

So, now you'll be wanting to programme the key into the car's ECUs. Here's Paul's handy switched cable (it's brilliant BTW :thumbsu:):
5AS programmer cable
5AS programmer cable
To programme your key fobs, you'll need all the fobs you intend to use (as I discovered, if you programme just the one, you'll loose the use of any previous functional key fobs - but conveniently, you can programme up to four separate fobs, which is nice :thumbsu:):
Get ALL your key fobs handy, and ready to go
Get ALL your key fobs handy, and ready to go
Now, turn on the ignition, and go through the 'usual' sequence as previously noted ;) First, selecting "Remote functions":
Remote functions mode
Remote functions mode
Now the unit will identify the Alarm ECU type - in my case, obviously, it's a Lucas 5AS:
Identify ECU type: Lucas 5AS
Identify ECU type: Lucas 5AS
Now we want "Special functions":
Select "Special functions"
Select "Special functions"
Now, "Program Remote":
Select "Program Remote"
Select "Program Remote"
The unit will then tell you how many "Tokens you have remaining" - 100 as it happens:
Tokens remaining: 100
Tokens remaining: 100
Somewhat alarmingly (no pun intended), it will then say you'll loose a token for programming in your key :o
Warning that you'll use one token for programming your remote fob...
Warning that you'll use one token for programming your remote fob...
Proceed anyway, and press return. You will now need to have all your functioning key fobs handy - both new and old. Press either the lock or unlock buttons eight times according to the supplied manual, but in reality you keep pressing until the horn "beeps" to tell you that the fob has been accepted by the system. You then straight after that, repeat again with all the other fobs (apparently a maximum of 4, according to the manual - I haven't tested that today!). You then press "enter" when you've completed the procedure.

The next screen will tell you how many tokens you have left:
Remaining tokens: 100
Remaining tokens: 100
And, hurrah! You've still got the same number of tokens you started with! :thumbsu:

I did this twice, as I wasn't sure whether you had to programme all the fobs with this equipment at the same time, but as it happens you do, and yes, I've still got the same 100 tokens that I started with. Brilliant :thumbsu:

So now I've got a big grin, because I've now reactivated my spare key, which I've not been able to use since a garage lost my original main key and had to programme a fresh one into the system - and because you need both keys when you programming it, and the garage didn't have my spare (thank goodness?) - the remote fob lost its functionality.

So, brilliant. I've reset my EKA and programmed a fresh key :thumbsu: I'll be going through the same process for Project Shed, so for me, it's been a good purchase :D

Dieter K

Post by Dieter K » Sun May 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Great news with the Token.
:D
Makes the decision about a club T300 device much easier. :thumbsu:

Charless,
I'll go for the mentioned fault code investigation in next week.
Have daubts this will work for SRS faults, cause the SRS connection pin (13?) at the MGF 'ODB-plug' is different to the MEMS pin (7). ABS faults may be shown, though.
Will start a new thread then or take contact by PN to you.
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Sun May 06, 2012 3:01 pm

If that's the case with the tokens, I can share the device within our register. Paul is organising a cable with a switch for me so should have it all within the next two weeks..................

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sun May 06, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks Rob, for the impressive report. The fob question coming up quite regularly on various occasions, I would also be quite interested in the device. A T4 is available locally, but weekends only, and Dieter is a bit far away ... :lol:

If you wish, we could give the MEMS live data functionality a test when I deliver the headlamps, as you know Lilibet is a MEMS2J VVC.

Mykel
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sun May 06, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks guys - I'm still feeling rather happy with myself following a productive few minutes this morning! :lol: I've also done a bit of work on Project Shed (and updated the software on my iPod Touch)... so not a bad day at all ;) Not often I get such a long run on my little projects these days :lol:

Mykel, yes, let's do that when you get here. Which weekend was it again? Drop me an email :)

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:22 pm

Thanks Rod and Dieter for your comments on the T300. I still may go the Blackbox Solution route given where I live, but at least there is a viable alternative in the T300.
Mark

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon May 07, 2012 1:15 pm

I'd imagine that the Blackbox will likely provide more "Live Data" information for your MEMS1.9 equipped MGF - and since this can be useful to aid in diagnosis (or indeed, with tuning developments ;)), then I think you're entirely justified in going down that route :thumbsu:

When you get one, I'd love to see how it operates to compare with the T300 :)

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Wed May 09, 2012 2:09 pm

Well the T300 has arrived just waiting for Paul's cable, this was sent today so another week. I might try the other cars in my fleet, daughters Honda, wife's Peugeot , the golf cart, Nissan Maxama.

Dieter K

Post by Dieter K » Wed May 09, 2012 11:56 pm

Charless wrote:'If' you were planning to unplug the SRS connection to a seat belt pretensioner and/or the rotary coupler and then to read the error code in a MEMS1.9 system and 'if' it could discriminate between the two, I would feel compelled to buy one too! (hint)
Finally I took contact to Paul from the org forum.
He unfortunately confirmed the daubts. T300 has no software to read the SRS ECU.
So the pin 13 at the MGF /TF OBD-connector will not be understood even if switched over to pin 7.

So you can save your money for something different :kiss:
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu May 10, 2012 11:52 am

Thanks for the information there Dieter - a bit of a shame, but not a disaster really.

Found this manual on the internet, that shows the programming steps rather nicely for all MG Rover vehicles:

http://roy.duitman.nl/Rover_Manual.pdf