MG TF 135 power increases..........

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: MG TF 135 power increases..........

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Yes, much later Colin: I badgered them for over a year before giving up and having my own 4-2-1 manifold made! Then a few years after that, X-Power commissioned the manifolds available now...

Not that this explains why they didn't fit your TF - again whether it was the correct manifold or a ZR one, or whether they had a problem with their jig with a batch of these manifolds - no idea, perhaps only Janspeed knows the answer?

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:42 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Yes, much later Colin: I badgered them for over a year before giving up and having my own 4-2-1 manifold made! Then a few years after that, X-Power commissioned the manifolds available now...

Not that this explains why they didn't fit your TF - again whether it was the correct manifold or a ZR one, or whether they had a problem with their jig with a batch of these manifolds - no idea, perhaps only Janspeed knows the answer?
After the janspeed fiasco I found out that there was little gain to be had on a 160 so I wasn't dissapointed Rob 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:09 am

And I fear I haven't pursued it either Colin: I don't have a VVC! But what I think is needed is a different design to the MPi manifold - and since the design of these manifolds is dependent upon the breathing characteristics of the head and the cams being used, you'd need to engage the help of an expert fabricator with much more experience in these things! Perhaps a VVC would do better with a 4-1 manifold?

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by sniperpenguin » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:38 am

Am I the only one who is going to say "If you want power, chop it in for a 160"?

All the other "pricey" mods willl be playing catchup, and the remap (which I have) simply improves the power delivery not necessarily tonnes of BHP. As DVA once told me... "All the cheap power was already got out off the 135"....

4-2-1's are pricey for what they give you and it (as well as the remap, exhaust, filter, dubious sports cat) can be applied to the 160 to take you to approaching 175 territory. Beyond that its take for head work.
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:00 pm

You are of course right Nigel :)

Even better though would be a 160 head on a 135 with solid cams... Actually a 145 head would be fine - and get Dave Andrews to do a bit of porting on it :)

The questions, as ever, are (1) how much do you want to spend, (2) how much do you want to spend (really!) and (3) what is your ultimate aim with the engine modifications.

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by sniperpenguin » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:21 pm

I think it boils down to "how attached to the car are you?"

NOT MUCH - Sell / trade for a 160

LOTS - Throw in a 160 engine (or head) conversion....
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

bpr160
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: Trophy 160

Post by bpr160 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Might have been a manifold for a ZR160?
The ZR160 manifold wouldn't fit the F/TF as it's a different design and is essentially a re-work of the standard manifold which has short primaries. The ZR could do with a manifold which has longer primaries like the F/TF/Elise one.

ZR manifold

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:03 pm

Hmm - that is not the ZR manifold I road tested 10 or 12 years ago... the ZR105 had a 35mm bore manifold, and the ZR160 had the 40mm item... this one looks to be another type of product :?