AP brakes an 16" LE Multispoke wheels on the MGF

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

AP brakes an 16" LE Multispoke wheels on the MGF

Post by Plezier » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:10 pm

There has been some discussion going on about which wheels will fit over the big red AP 4 pot calipers. Having only seen them in photos and not really studied the photos I was surprised at just how large these AP calipers are :oops: . My set up arrived by City Link courier this morning so naturally I set to to have a look and see what I need to do to make them not only presentable but looking good.

Could probably get away with a good clean for a year or two as the paint is actually quite good still once I gt teh caked on brakes dust off.

Any way as the project VVC is not going to need it's nearly new 240 mm rotors I set about swapping these onto "Blue 33" whose discs had seen better days especially on the inner face. This also gave me a chance to trial fit a AP caliper and 303 mm disc with oen of my LE Multispoke wheels. As expected without spacers they foul.

However with only 2.7 mm spacing, provided by four thick stainless 12 mm washers they fit and clear the caliper:-

I could not spin the wheel right around due to the stick on weights being in the way but with these removed and the wheel rebalanced with the weights away for the caliper we will have clearance.. I intend to use 4 mm spacers but will have to make them or get them made it seems meanwhile I may buy a pair of cheap 5 mm spacers to trail fit properly on the VVC once we get hubs installed again.

Martin_Bmth
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Blue 1.8 2004 tf

Re: AP brakes an 16" LE Multispoke wheels on the MGF

Post by Martin_Bmth » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:51 pm

Thats squeaky tight but look good. :) You can get 5mm spacers (from memory) off ebay that ive seen some people use.
Former owner of Zippy the Blue 2004 TF
Joker the Tahiti Blue Metro
Tahiti Blue R216 Cabriolet

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:54 am

Well for now to get everything worked out have bought a couple of 5 mm universal alloy spacers. These will do to get everything fitted and tested.

Next is to decide if braided hoses are worth my while and expense :? .

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Plezier wrote: Next is to decide if braided hoses are worth my while and expense :? .
Yes, definitely

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:19 pm

daz wrote:
Plezier wrote: Next is to decide if braided hoses are worth my while and expense :? .
Yes, definitely
You would have to say that :shutup: I have been looking at the access to the front hose connection to the solid brake line and with the ABS module in the way the O/F is a PITA to get at not to mention the N/S with all the electrical gubbins around it and battery :cry: so have been trying to convince myeslf that the standard hoses are OK ....................................... good even and then you go and spoil it :( :cry:

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:18 pm

sorry, I meant to say, steer well clear of the braided hoses they're a waste of money :lol: that better?

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:30 pm

daz wrote:sorry, I meant to say, steer well clear of the braided hoses they're a waste of money :lol: that better?
Nope you KNOW the damage has been done ............................. the seed sown :rant:

Methinks I should watch you struggle to get the flexi hoses undone from the solid brake lines :lol: Oh on the Project VVC of course :thumbsu: .

In the morning will pull the battery off and stick it on charge, been started a few times and had the stereo on whilst working on and around the car so it could do with a top up I suspect. Then will look at getting at the darned brake line ferrules.

Am still thinking watching you struggle with it is a better idea :P .

Plezier

Sub frame and brake lines out.

Post by Plezier » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:11 am

Yesterday I bit the bullet so to speak and removed both battery and ABS pump and got the front flexi hoses undone. Just one, the front bolt, on the ABS pump bracket will not come undone. Cannot even get an Irwin to grip on it :rant: so am going to have to grind the head off and drill out the remained of the bolt. The bracket is well rusted so need shot blasting before it can be painted for re-fitting.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:32 am

ABS mounting bolts will shear quite readily (guess how I know that) - so be careful. Other than re-painting the bracket, I am not sure why you are removing the ABS unit? Certainly perfectly possible to change the flexi-hoses with the ABS pump in situ. :)

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:02 am

Simple Rob,

Reasons:-

1) Could not get the Drivers side line undone as ferrule was just at the wrong angle for spanner which fouled the ABS unit.

2) The bracket is rank with rust so needs dealing with.

What is confusing is that the pump module looks like the one from the Rover 75 except for the multi pin plug. Was looking at photos earlier of MGF under bonnet photos and the pumps I saw were different with line going into the rear. They all go into the top on mine just like the 75's.

The real question is do I fit the two new standard rubber hoses or buy braided stainless :?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Plezier wrote:The real question is do I fit the two new standard rubber hoses or buy braided stainless :?
I wouldn't dare to suggest ;) :lol:

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:24 pm

Rob Bell wrote:
Plezier wrote:The real question is do I fit the two new standard rubber hoses or buy braided stainless :?
I wouldn't dare to suggest ;) :lol:
I bought the new standard rubber hoses when I first ordered the replacement sub frame and this was before "Blue 33" came along. So suppose I could use these rubber ones on "Blue 33". The only reason she got braided stainless on the rear was that I found then cheaper at £25.50 delivered than the rubbers ones at the time and "Blues" front calipers could do with an over haul. have changed the discs for nearly new ones and the braking is better but the calipers did not look the best when I was fitting them.

If I was not still after tyres then it would not be an issue but the budget is being well and truly stretched.

Plus I have to bear in mind that there are the rear brakes to re-build yet and have not checked the rear brake lines either as yet and we know what horrors can be lurking there.

Plezier

Re: AP brakes update

Post by Plezier » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:45 am

At least the N/S/F AP set up is re-built now:-

That is the 5 mm alloy spacer on the hub BTW.

New pads, wear plate, pins, bolts, Cross over pipe, bleed nipples and caps. Proper 36mm length caliper mounting bolts with caliper all cleaned and painted. Still cleaning up the O/F caliper so it will be a few days before I can get that fitted with paint curing/drying time.

Also bought a bit more bling:-

Chromed horn mounts with stainless bolts.

Just awaiting the delivery of the new stainless braided brake hoses now................................yes I did break down and buy the stainless hoses as well a grease gun type pump which arrived yesterday.

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:32 am

I went for polished stainless horn brackets, but the effect is the same. I wish all mods were that simple and effective! It's amazing how badly the originals rusted. They must have come out of the same plant as the subframes!
When you route your front SS hoses be careful that they clear the bump stop pads or they will get squashed. (Don't ask me how I know this! :roll: )

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:00 am

The hose purchased are stainless braided sheathed in yellow PVC, other colours are available but yellow with suit the sub frame of course, which should hopefully arrived today:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-MGF-1-8-CP ... 5663f69e9e

Chose these no only for the sheathing but because they come with the new fittings, at least according to the photos, we shall see when they arrive. Sadly the company does not seem to know that much about what they sell as I asked a question and got a very vague response ............................. so we shall see.

I do have a couple of "P" clips left over from the rear stainless hoses fitted on "Blue 33" but will fabricate a small plate bracket to hole the hose from the lower shock absorber bolt for each side. Will do that once the hoses arrive and I can see how much length we have to play with and which side the hose can be routed.

On another note the under bonnet really needs a clean. have tried on bit and it does come up quite well but it's going to take a bit of effort and time to clean it all. The battery tray needs a good clean and rust treating then paint the platform for the ABS unit also needs this but on a lesser scale. The wheel well has a dent which needs knocking out and the captive nut for the wheel is broken away to that needs repairing and plating with a new captive thread. I think I will make up a plate one with taper sides to the edge is of welding thickness with the centre deep enough for a decent thread this will spread the load over a larger area. For some reason breakers seem to want a lot of money for the factory wheel retainer and it's plastic hand wheel. Will give this some thought to making up a more robust one.