Starting Query

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
johnemmett205
MGF Register Region: Essex

Starting Query

Post by johnemmett205 » Wed May 08, 2024 4:52 pm

Hi I have a 99 MGF with a intermittent starting issue and any help would be appreciated

What I turn the key intermittently it is dead not a sausage first time I removed both nuts of the back of the starter and cleaned them it started straight away, all good for a few days then it done it again I loosened the main nut on the back of the starter sprayed with electrical cleaner it started up no problem

At the moment when it does it I disconnected the battery loosen big nut on starter re tighten connect battery works again for a while

Any ideas please it is driving me crazy John

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Re: Starting Query

Post by Notanumber » Thu May 09, 2024 1:09 pm

Are you certain it's the starter itself and not a dodgy starter contact in the ignition switch ?

You haven't put what car you have but if you do have to replace the starter I think the Mk1 F may have a different starter to the Mk2 F & TF from memory.

johnemmett205
MGF Register Region: Essex

Post by johnemmett205 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:18 am

Notanumber wrote:Are you certain it's the starter itself and not a dodgy starter contact in the ignition switch ?

You haven't put what car you have but if you do have to replace the starter I think the Mk1 F may have a different starter to the Mk2 F & TF from memory.
It's a MK1 MGF 1999 I don't think it's the ignition as removing the power cable on the starter and replacing it starts straight away without touching the ignition internals but am open to anything at the moment

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Fri May 10, 2024 1:34 pm

Its probably worth ringing around the usual places most of us on here use for 2nd hand bits to find an affordable replacement starter. I tend to use Darren at Mgfntfbitz due to good experiences but others will be along with their own recommendations .