MG TF 135 power increases..........

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
MGFantastica
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: Abingdon VVC

MG TF 135 power increases..........

Post by MGFantastica » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:59 am

Hello forum, hope everyone is well and looking forward to the weather finally getting warmer this year! I've had to replace my beloved Mgf with a newer MG TF 135 after an oil burning incident. Now my dilemma is how to increase the power from the 135 as all the mods that I've used previously have been for the VVC engine.

Does anyone know if fitting warmer cams will increase the power output significantly? I had a warmer Piper cam replace the standard exhaust cam on my VVC and wondered if this cam can be fitted as the exhaust cam in the MG TF 135?

Also I have a pair of the rare Dave Andrews offset dowels designed for my old VVC engine, would these dowels fit the 135 engine as well? I am going to use Z and F tuning to programme the ECU but am worried that the offset dowels may affect the power from remapping negatively?

Hope to hear from soon......... :thumbsu:

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: MG TF 135 power increases..........

Post by colintf » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:21 am

Have you done the basics?

4-2-1 works well on 135 but not the 160 eg Piper
Induction kit eg ITG
exhaust eg Daytona
Sports cat

If not do so before the remap :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:28 am

Not sure I'd bother with the sports cat, but the rest of the list that Colin has posted is spot on, and is essentially the spec of my own MGF (bar a DVA quick n' dirty head port!) Makes for a very nice driving car.

Softly~Softly
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF1.8VVC TF135. 160

Post by Softly~Softly » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:20 pm

colintf wrote:Have you done the basics?

4-2-1 works well on 135 but not the 160 eg Piper
Induction kit eg ITG
exhaust eg Daytona
Sports cat

If not do so before the remap :thumbsu:

Thank you added to my to do list on the new 135 and I have just realised thanks to your post I can have a re map :D
For all MG/Rover .. MGWW MGWorldWide https://www.facebook.com/groups/midland ... p_activity

MGFantastica

Post by MGFantastica » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:27 am

Glad I've managed to help out in some way softly! My question now is whether offset dowels designed for the Mgf VVC engine will work in the MG TF 135 Engine? I'm planning on having the 135 engine ecu remapped so is fitting the dowels of any benefit?

MGFantastica

Post by MGFantastica » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Thanks for everyone's contributions to the thread. I am a bit concerned about getting a Piper 4-2-1 as I've read that the bolts holding it to the engine often shear and that the connective flexible coupling have very short life-spans! Can anyone who has one fitted tell me if they've had any trouble? I do read a lot on the internet, what's true or not leaves my mind-boggling.....lol! :?

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:45 am

Probably the single mod that gives the best performance gain is the 4-2-1 manifold. It increases bhp of course as the exhaust gasses can flow freerer but the increased torque is wonderful, you really notice that. As for quality, I have the Piper from Mike Satur and it's no problem, it's my second one, the first being on the F and I left it there when I sold it in 2008.

However I trust no other as I know of several examples of buying from other sources where quality and fit was a major issue.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Steve White
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Post by Steve White » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:01 am

I can't comment on the Pipe 4-2-1 but I have a Janspeed manifold fitted.
Its never sheared and fasteners or had any other issues, but I did have to replace the flexy section last year, after 8 years and around 70K miles of use :lol:

colintf

Post by colintf » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:21 am

Steve White wrote:I can't comment on the Pipe 4-2-1 but I have a Janspeed manifold fitted.
Its never sheared and fasteners or had any other issues, but I did have to replace the flexy section last year, after 8 years and around 70K miles of use :lol:

Funniliy enough Janspeed could not get their Janspeed TF Manifold to fit my TF - much to their embarresment a few years ago :roll:

Colin Murrell
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

MGFantastica

Post by MGFantastica » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Interesting replies. Encouraging to hear that it went after 8 years, must sell mine before then! Lol ! The issues I read about Colin were all around the Janspeed 4-2-1, so I will be opting for the Piper me thinks. Valuable feedback peeps, much appreciated...... :thumbsu:

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:34 pm

The one that would not fit my TF was a Janspeed unit. None of the holes lined up to the studs and there were no heat shields to go with it. Terrible job trying to get my money back too from the seller.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

MGFantastica

Post by MGFantastica » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Ah, sorry to hear that Adrian. Odd that Janspeed didn't get it right, they're not a small company and fairly high profile. Piper here we come! :D

quick_spider
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by quick_spider » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:45 pm

Putting your old VVC exhaust cam in the 135 as an exhaust cam wouldn't work becuase it'll be missing the cam phase sensor lobe. Running a hotter cam on the inlet side would be a good idea IMO as it should make for a torquier engine.

The offset dowels could also be used, but they'd be best fitted after measuring the existing timing of the cams to see how far away from optimum they are (fitting the dowels could make it worse!)

If it were my car, I'd be swapping the engine for a 160!

J13UTM
Model of Car: 2001 Trophy 160

Post by J13UTM » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Ive taken a 135 to about 142 with just exhaust and induction mods. You could easily take it to 150 with the right bolt ons and remaps, beyond that you're spending silly money for the gain you can get with a 160.

I personally went for new plugs, coil packs and leads first - make the best of stock.Then tighten the throttle cable to as tight as you can get it without it forcing the idle up. When I did that my 03 135 with 50k on the clock made 133 bhp at the fly (estimated).

I then added an enclosed K&N 57i - like on Rob Bells site. 136bhp (same road and same temp range as It was the next day). Then a 10 year old daytona exhaust. Took me to 142bhp.

Lee Pudney has 147bhp with a ZandF remap with those sort of pre-done mods.

The best thing I can recommend buying is an aftermarket manifold. We already have 4-2-1's on the car (people seldom know this) but they are of poor design, even on the TF. A Scorpion 4-2-1 (which was the worst in my opinion) made a massive difference to the feel of my MGF VVC. It would have an even bigger impact on a 135/MPI engine due to power peaking lower. Daily driving was transformed.
MGF VVC Panther LE
KH Cheetah Bodykit & Splitter, Roversport Spoiler, SP Exhaust, 52mmTB, Custom RamAir Induction Kit, KYB Shocks, AP Racing Clutch, ULW Fly, SS Kit, SS Coolant Pipes, Lots Of Chrome, Electric Roof, LED Lighting, TF Tailights

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:24 pm

Most cost effective power mod is usually a filter on our cars - but the gains are relatively limited on the later cars with its larger air box and dual air intakes - just make sure that these are directed into nice, cold air.

Exhausts broadly make about 5bhp/5 lb.ft for the best ones (the good old Daytona was best, with the Milltek Supersport just behind).

4-2-1 manifolds broadly don't make much extra power but can make oddles of torque lower down the rev range where you most need it, and the best ones can really transform the way the car drives (the Powerspeed one on my car is absolutely brilliant). Most manifolds are optimised for the MPi head and cams; the VVC's requirements are different and this is likely the reason why the "one size fits all" solution fails to work so convincingly on VVC heads!

For MEMS3 users, we saw at our RR day that Mark's Z&F re-tune netted a good, reproducible 5 bhp gain with much improved driveability. I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about this conversion!

Beyond these changes, you start spending ever more money for ever less gain, but you could consider hotter cams - piper's BP270H might be a good choice, and the 633 a more powerful choice. Also think throttle bodies early on: Jenvey offer a bolt-on upgrade. MEMS3 could be re-programmed to run these, and would be worth discussing with Mark, or consider getting an Emerald. Thereafter talk to my old friend, Dave Andrews, regarding a head port and bigger valves - but bear in mind that an exhaust manifold suitable for a lesser engine will no longer be optimal for an engine in a higher state of tune...

Also consider whether the pistons and rods are man enough for a higher rev limit required to get the most from the higher state of tune. But the good news is that you could potentially be looking at 200-220bhp...

How far do you really want to go? ;)

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:08 am

MGFantastica wrote:Ah, sorry to hear that Adrian. Odd that Janspeed didn't get it right, they're not a small company and fairly high profile. Piper here we come! :D
I didn't buy it from Janspeed but an MGF parts supplier in the Midlands, a place I will never ever vist again.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:49 am

Might have been a manifold for a ZR160?

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:42 pm

Possibly Rob, would the downpipe still have lined up as that was not too far out but the stud holes would not line up.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Yes, I think this is a definite possibility. I test drove the ZR with Janspeed manifolds for an article I wrote for Phil Raby in MG World about 10 years ago - and I have to say that the most impressive of the two cars I drove was the 1.4 litre 105. Both benefited from similar tubular 4-2-1 manifolds (the one on the 160 had larger bores), and predictably I was keen to have one for my MGF. But they told me that it wouldn't fit...

Looking at the Rimmer Bros catalogue, the ZR manifold uses a different part number to those used on MGFs and TFs, but the diagram picture is pretty similar to the MGF manifold... similar but not the same.

colintf

Post by colintf » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Janspeed did make manifolds for F/ TF and were part of the XPower tuning kits

But they couldn't get their TF manifold to fit my TF

8-)

Colin Murrell