URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - Bonnet Cable snapped

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Tall_Bloke
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF Mk 2

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - Bonnet Cable snapped

Post by Tall_Bloke » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:04 am

My wifes bonnet release cable has snapped at the very front so we cannot open the bonnet. It happened on Thu night when the car was due it's MOT on Fri so we can't use the car until it has been MOT'd. I normally do most jobs on the car myself to save costs but cannot see a way to open the bonnet. I tried on Thu night but no luck. Looking at past threads on here it appears there is a way, but due to the implications of telling everybody openly the info is passed via PM.
Can i ask someone to PM me the solution to opening the bonnet without the cable as soon as possible please as i will be working away from home for the week from Mon and really need to get the car in for it's MOT as soon as possible so that the other half can drive the car.

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - Bonnet Cable snapped

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:57 am

I have e-mailed you.

Tall_Bloke

Post by Tall_Bloke » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Reckless, got the email thank you.
I kind of thought i might have to do that, the only problem is that being an old rugby player i may not be built the right way but will still have a go anyway. I have heard that the bonnet can be taken off somehow, but maybe that was just someone telling a bit of a porky.

Many Thanks.

Tall_Bloke

Post by Tall_Bloke » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:25 pm

Job done and not too difficult at all after a bit of advice from Reckless Rat for which i am greatful.
Anyone with the same problem can PM me for tips now that i know the way to solve the problem. After stripping the mechanism out and giving it a good clean, re-greasing it and lubricating the cable it all works fine.

Can't think why MG designed the release mechanism to be like it is, it seems a bit like a Fri afternoon design job to me. Still concerned that the design may cause problems in the future. For those that have not had to change the cable or had a similar problem i am talking about having a cable with a loop on the end to hook onto the mechanism instead of a cable with a traditional style clamp at the end.

Dieter K
Model of Car: '99 MGF 1.8i

Post by Dieter K » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:33 pm

Can't moan about the design there. There are other MGF/TF items much more funny ;)

1. add a cable tie to the joint / eyelet
2. never again push back the bonnet release lever after you pulled it.
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

Danny b

Post by Danny b » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:10 pm

Can anyone give me this info please? Can't get into the bonnet on my one,cable has snapped off and I cannot budge with along screwdriver!

Danny b

Post by Danny b » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:42 pm

No worries ,got the bonnet open today,but got to say I've owned many classic cars and I am a member of a few forums,I own a couple of Mercedes and a ford,but I'm a bit dismayed I had no replys to my question here? Perhaps I expected too much from mg owners!?

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:51 pm

Danny, it’s simply about security issues here. We often have new “members” on various forums whose first question is “how do I get under the bonnet of that car?” Therefore, maybe people are a bit annoyed and tend to neglect even genuine help seekers.

This is nothing personal and you’re right, someone (including myself) should have got in touch with you via PM earlier. Sorry for that!

Stay with us, you’ve got a great local group going in Kent with Simon organising natters and runs, and you could also pop over to my good friends in Essex. Get in touch personally and you will see how us nutty MG owners are really like.

Have a merry Christmas and hope to meet someplace in the new year.
Michael
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:37 am

The Forum Rules in the Header to this Technical section asks Members not to publish information that may be a Security Issue. The option is to ask a Moderator for assistance.
A lot of Classic Car Forums have a Car Club Members only Section for such issues which is not the case with MGCC
F Register.
Geoff F.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:28 pm

We keep this forum open and free to everybody, it's our decision. You don't even need to be a Car Club member to read or post unlike most. We cannot break our own code of conduct and your question relates to the integral security of the car.

Did you contact a moderator for advice ?

What do you "expect from MG owners", the keys to the car ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Danny b

Post by Danny b » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Thanks for the replys and yours mr Clifford :thumbsd:

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Sorry to hear your problems Danny, I feel your frustration.
Unfortunately the F is relatively simple so owners tend to be protective over how to break in to them.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Danny b

Post by Danny b » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:19 pm

If anyone has a problem and needs help message me I will tell you how to open your bonnet,,,,,but I may have to kill you afterwards!

Jorian
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 1996 MGF 1.8i

Post by Jorian » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:31 pm

Afternoon, I was wondering if someone would be able to PM me the instructions required as well please?

I know I'm not a regular here (sorry to say but I usually only visit the MG Rover forums :lol: ) but my secondary MGF's bonnet release cable made a "snap" sound a few days ago after trying to open the bonnet and it seems to have snapped or disconnected nearer to the bonnet than the boot.

As its a car I don't drive (in fact its SORN) there is no rush in getting this sorted but would appreciate any help I can get and can provide VIN etc if needed.

Cheers fellas,

Jorian

Danny b

Post by Danny b » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:41 pm

Jorrian sent you a pm on how to sort it,,,no point asking here,got my answer from my usual multi car forum

Jorian
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 1996 MGF 1.8i

Post by Jorian » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:35 am

Danny b wrote:Jorrian sent you a pm on how to sort it,,,no point asking here,got my answer from my usual multi car forum
Cheers Danny, will give it a go at some point this week :thumbsu:

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:17 pm

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

We don't tend to put this information on the main forum - for obvious reasons. But hopefully between everyone's efforts and suggestions, you'll be able to get back into the bonnet compartment! :thumbsu:

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:58 pm

Owners requesting help on how to open the bonnet when the cable snaps certainly is a consistent topic, and as Rob points out one where the solution isn't posted for obvious reasons.

I have the front bumper off my wife's 95 F for the installation of air conditioning system over the winter and I noticed that the ring that connects the bonnet cable to the latch assembly is covered in rust. The rust and the frequency of the bonnet cable snapped topic has prompted me to fashion an emergency bonnet release cable. I hope its okay to mention that I am selling these emergency bonnet release cables on ebay.

Once the cable is installed, and the bumper reinstalled, you can’t see the end of the cable from the front of the car. But when needed, just reach under the car and give the cable a pull towards right hand side of the car and the bonnet will open.
Mark

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:52 pm

A nice solution - and yes, corrosion of the cable end is a common cause of cable failure. :(

Danny b

Post by Danny b » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:06 pm

All well and good not posting it up here.....but you can get the info from other car forums, I asked got no reply not even a a reply telling me why it wouldn't be answered? Tbh it's put me right off using this forum add to that my parts for sale ads being replyed to with offers of taking the items if I was giving them away! Quite laughable really,