Squeaky brakes

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Stampy
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 VVC

Squeaky brakes

Post by Stampy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:49 pm

Hey guys,

In the last week or so my brakes have become quite squeaky when braking to a halt from low speeds, and it is very, very annoying! :roll:

I think that it is dust building up in the AP calipers, but I'm not sure of the best way to clean them.........also, when I pumped the Hydragas a month or so ago, I noticed the brake fluid reservoir was looking lower than usual and was told that it indicates my rear brakes are worn (because the fluid compensates for lack of pad or something?) - could this be related?

Ta.

:mrgreen:
Simon Watson - MGF VVC in Solar Red ~ AP Big Brakes ~ TF160 Wheels ~ Pirelli P-Zero Neros ~ Milltek Quads ~ K&N 57i ~ 154bhp and 143lb/ft

Herbie
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Re: Squeaky brakes

Post by Herbie » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:06 pm

Could well be the wear indicator at the inner rear pads. But this might sound a bit more metallic if you ask me.
Was there any copper grease applied to the backside of the pads and inside the calipers ?
MGF 1.8i - Nighfire Red (CAQ)
Daytona Backbox - Piper Sports Cat - 52mm TB - TF Steering Rack - TF 80th LE elements - Compliance Washers - Clear Indicators - Assorted Bling

Stampy
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 VVC

Post by Stampy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:14 pm

I'd hazard a guess and say no, as I bought them complete on hub assemblies, basically ready built - it's been ages since I've taken a caliper apart though so a bit unsure as to how to do it properly :?
Simon Watson - MGF VVC in Solar Red ~ AP Big Brakes ~ TF160 Wheels ~ Pirelli P-Zero Neros ~ Milltek Quads ~ K&N 57i ~ 154bhp and 143lb/ft

Herbie
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by Herbie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:09 pm

Ok Stampos, I think some 'break' ;) experts will soon be along (re big brake).

Meanwhile have a looksie at these pages by Rob Bell:
http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DI ... nt_pad.htm
http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DI ... ar_pad.htm

I am not sure if I overread it but the copper grease should also be applied to the non-friction side of the pads.
Didn't find it there, unsure now ...
MGF 1.8i - Nighfire Red (CAQ)
Daytona Backbox - Piper Sports Cat - 52mm TB - TF Steering Rack - TF 80th LE elements - Compliance Washers - Clear Indicators - Assorted Bling

Steve
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 160 TF Sprint SE

Post by Steve » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:13 pm

AP calipers have 2 pins through them that hold the pads and anti squeel shim in place
You will need to knock the 2 pins out (they may be in need of a bit of cleaning first) once out remove shim and pads.
You can then either, clean up the caliper or remove the caliper via the 2 bolts (rear of the caliper)then clean.
Refit caliper after cleaning (if removed)
Refit pads (preferably with new ones)use small amount of copper grease on back of pads prior to fitting.
refit shim (ensure right way up/round) and pins you will need to knock the pins in to ensure a tight fit.
If all done correctly you should have no more squeely brakes!!
Finally....good luck. :lol:

Rick
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 'F #72 TF135 Conv

Post by Rick » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:35 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick point...

Low brake fluid indicates pad wear OR a leak (more dangerous). As both front and rear brakes are hydraulic systems, you cannot tell without checking the pad which pads are worn!! :thumbsu:

Rickardo

James Curgenven
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG ZT 260 SE #455

Post by James Curgenven » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:37 pm

Mine has started doing exactly the same these last couple of weeks, Stamps. I just need to check which end is making it.
---
Loud & Proud!

CRUSHA03
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 1.8 VVC

Post by CRUSHA03 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:49 pm

Mine are Too !!!!
But i've only recently changed the Rear Pads & discs ?????? Did all the usual Copper slip application too ????? but their still squeaking :? :? :? :?